Thursday, October 31, 2013

A Slow Start

I actually have had the truck since July, but didn’t want to start a thread till we were further into the project. So I have a little catch up to do to get to where I'm at on the build.
Being the nostalgia kind of guy that I am I wanted to get the truck running with the original drive train? Frank said that it ran when he park it 20 years ago. I'm thinking I have a 50/50 chance. My goal was to drive it to town for what we call first Friday. The first Friday of Every month the town shops stay open late and have a kind of street fair. The local car club closes down one of the streets for a mini car show. It's very low key but fun to see what shows up for the night.
As all things go I missed the first event. It took longer to work out the bugs than I was anticipating. After a new battery, redoing the wiring for the starting system, rebuilding the distributor, new coil, new starter, rebuilding the carb, changing out the old fluids, and a lot of head scratching I was able to achieve my goal. My first drive was down the driveway and after a little gear grinding and pumping the brakes I was on my way. And as long as I gave myself 100 yards to stop I was good to go. The next first Friday my daughter and I went to town. We made it to town and back with no problems, but I don't think we went over 35 miles an hour just in case. Boy did we see some rubber necking going on.


In a way I fill kind of guilty to be taking apart a running piece of history, but I need the safety of a newer chassis. It's now the end of August and time to start taking the cab off the chassis.

The truck at its new home.


My daughter waiting for her ride to town.

No comments:

Post a Comment